After some time we realized that he was sitting dead in the water. After hailing him on the VHF radio, he said he had an engine problem. We waited and he started again only to stop over and over again. Finally he could not get the motor to run again. Mark offer to come to his boat. They discussed the issues and what he had done. I think he did not know us that well and he was totally exhausted. He told us to go on to Muertos Cove and he would sail there. It was late in the afternoon.
We anchored in sand in a large safe harbor. About 7am the next morning Stormvogel hailed us requesting a tow into the harbor. He was 1.6 nm south of us. The waters were very calm. Serena was at the helm and Mark handled the tow line. Wayne was our the top. He said he could not sleep or eat until the engine was fixed while he was out. Mark went over to his boat and found the problem. One of the fuel lines at the filter had collapsed. Wayne had check so many things with the engine and bypassed everything that he could. He just got tired and could not think any more. At this point Wayne felt he could take a nap. We went to shore for dinner later and discussed when to leave for La Paz.
|Stormvogel waiting to be towed.|
|Wayne at the bow of Stormvogel as we give him a tow.|